Monday, August 20, 2007


There is the promised knitting content! That's also at Natural Bridge (Virginia). More about that sock later. I promise, when I do catch up with my knitting there will be a lot of it!

Today is Independence Day for the Republic of Rahime - I took the bus! And got to work, all by myself! Backstory: the buses in my hometown are pretty bad, and I never ever used them ever. I was afraid of them. The buses in Brooklyn are nice, and safe (I think) but I still found them intimidating and developed a sort of phobia of the bus. So, in two years, I've never used them (okay once but I was with a friend so it doesn't count). But this year I've realized it's just too impractical (and uncomfortable, when I have to wait) for me to rely on Sweetie to drive me everywhere. So since last week I've been trying to psyche myself up to take the bus to work, and today I finally did it! And it was really, really convenient, comfortable, and easy. I had to fight the urge to stay on the bus and see where it went - now I'm frantic to get a bus map so I can see where else I can go! My mind is full of possibilities. Next step: knitting on the bus???

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute toe! What's the yarn?

Big city transportation scares me too. I spent my first year sure that I would end up so lost. Glad you had a successful trip and the city is now waiting for you! When others are driving, it's great knitting time.

DDKK said...

Congratulations! I am a staunch supporter of the London Omnibus (as I believe it used to be known..). Yes, buses seem really scary and difficult when you have never used them, but they are a great way to get to know your city and give you a fantastic sense of freedom if you don't drive. I thoroughly recommend staying on the bus one day (preferably not a working day!) and seeing where it goes. Try a magical mystery tour one day with an all-day bus pass (or the Brooklyn equivalent!). Looking forward to seeing bus-knitted socks.....

Bryony Ramsden said...

Very cute sock :D And good for you with the bus! I love knitting on the bus (but only if it isn't the one where the driver goes to fast and makes the journey bumpy and makes me drop stitches - beware!)

Teal said...

Go girl! No more stress about getting to work on time...you're in control.

JakkiMitch said...

Taking the bus sounds like a great alternative! [Somedays I wish I could do that. But I work on the far edge of town and the last bus back into town leaves before I can get off. :-[