Emilee tagged me for the "Five Secrets About Me" meme, and it's my first time! So exciting. So, five things I haven't mentioned here before...
1. I'm American, but I spent 4 of the last seven years abroad, most recently as an aid worker (teacher) in Central Asia (but not Afghanistan - I'm not that brave. I had some really great Afghan refugee students whom I love dearly though).
2. My husband is Turkish, and we met in 1. when he was an expat English teacher at a fancy private school in the same town where I was working. I earned the nickname "Turkish Princess" for how spoiled I got by all of the Turkish food (local food was...not to US tastes), Simpsons in English, and air conditioning he lavished on me. (I was there as part of a group, and the conditions we lived in were local standards and not US. Thus air conditioning was unimaginable luxury for most of us.)
3. When I want to, I shamelessly exploit my headscarf and the fact that people make assumptions to pretend that I don't speak English. Earnest cult member handing out pamphlets? Creepy, chatty guy in line or on the train? I've perfected this blank look that, combined with the scarf, somehow creates a forcefield that protects me from any and all weirdos who want to talk. It's like magic!
4. I used to be vegan, until I became allergic to soy. (I'm running out of ideas, can you tell?)
5. My little sister is taller than me, and the reason I was so crazy about platform shoes in high school wasn't because they were fashionable, it was so people wouldn't notice she was growing more than me.
Okay! I wasn't sure I was going to make it there. Now I have to tag five people... and I'm not sure who even reads. I'm tagging Teal for sure, and pretty much anybody else who's ever left a comment here. That means Knit Nurse, Smug Sheep, Kneesocky, and Lauren. Oh man, I hope you people still read here sometimes. And I think I'll also tag anyone else who happens along - and don't do what I always do and say to yourself "Oh, she doesn't mean me" and continue on your merry way - I do mean you! You're tagged!
And just for interest, although the interest is minimal because it's just longer stockinette than before, here's a picture of my progress on my Sweetie's Project Spectrum sock.
Now, anybody who read this should go write a meme! Seriously!